John KYRWOOD 
- Born: Cir 1713
- Marriage (1): Margaret 
- Died: 1746 aged about 33
- Buried: 23 May 1746, Canon Pyon, Herefordshire, England 1
info on Canon Pyle
Canon Pyon, Herefordshire
Description from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
Transcription by Marion B Wilkinson © 2001
Please respect our Conditions of Use <http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Conditions.html>
CANON PYON is an extensive parish and village situated on the main road between Hereford and Pembridge, distant 7 miles N.W. of Hereford, 9 S.S.W. of Leominster, and 5 S.E. of Weobley, in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Bodenham polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 768; in 1871, 770; inhabited houses, 176; families or separate occupiers, 176; area of parish, 3,706a. 3r. 7p.; annual rateable value, £4,897. The Dean and Chapter of Hereford are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are the executors of the late D. F. B. Thomas, Esq., William Wilson, Esq., John Benjamin Plevy, Esq., William Plevy, Esq., George Gardiner, Esq., Henry Griffiths, Esq., and Mrs. Elizabeth Yeomans. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, clay; chief products, wheat, beans, peas, oats, fruit, and hops. Canon Pyon is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; living, a vicarage; value, £311, with residence and 10 acres of glebe; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Thomas Dawes, M.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1853. The church of St. Lawrence is an ancient stone edifice, in the Norman and Gothic styles of architecture, with square tower containing five bells. It has nave, chancel, two side aisles, font, and at the entrance to the churchyard is a lych gate. The chancel was rebuilt in 1865 at the expense of the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, and the church underwent general restoration in 1870 at a cost of £820, chiefly defrayed by the vicar and parishioners. Henry Ward, Esq., of Stafford, was the architect, and Messrs. John Williams and Charles Jones, both of Canon Pyon, were the builders. The parish registers begin with the year 1754. A new school has been recently erected to meet the requirements of the "Elementary Education Act". It is centrally situated, and affords accommodation for 122 children; the cost of building was defrayed by subscription. The school is under the management of a parochial committee, of which Mr. Herbert Yeomans is the secretary. Great House, the residence of Gordon Graham, Esq., is pleasantly situated near the church. About half a mile west of the house, on the top of the renowned Pyon Hill, is built a castellated brick summer-house, commanding delightful views of several counties.
POSTAL REGULATIONS.-Mrs. Elizabeth Steele, Sub-Postmistress, New end. Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 9.15 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Weobley is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Lawrence's).-Rev. Thomas Dawes, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. George Thomas and John Clayton, Churchwardens; William Steele, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).-Mr. Frank George, Master; Miss Annie George, Mistress.
Carriers to Hereford.-Stephen Rowberry, on Wednesdays and Saturdays; stops at the Maidenhead Inn, Eign street, Hereford, and returns about 5 p.m.; Edward Edwards (from Dilwyn) also passes through on the same days and stops at the same inn.
from web page:
John married Margaret  [MRIN: 379]. (Margaret  was born circa 1713 and died in 1765 in Burghill, , Herefordshire, England 3.)