Anthony Wallace TEMPLE-NIDD 
- Born: 24 Jul 1932, Southampton, , Hampshire, England
- Died: 14 Jul 1949, Battersea, London, Middlesex aged 16 1
- Buried: 22 Jul 1949, Southampton, , Hampshire, England
Family Oral History Version:
Tony drowned while working, he was just 16 and had been forced to row a small boat ashore for some rich guests, They were drunk, they rocked the boat, he fell in, and his weighted boots caused him to get caught and he drowned. He is buried in the family plot with his father, but his grave is not marked on the tombstone, plot is L13
Most of this is borne out by the inquest - see sources -
Holy Rood Cemetery (Same Plot As Father, )L13/60
Name:TEMPLE-NIDD, Anthony W
Registration District: HelpFulham
Year of Registration: 1949
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at death: 16
Volume No: 5C
Page No: 341
60 bedford place
Noted events in his life were:
1. Newspaper Article: Missing, 1949, Battersea, London, Middlesex. Thames River Police today searched for Anthony Temple-Nidd aged 16, of 20 Honeysuckle Road, Southampton, cabin-boy on the Little John, a motor-yacht moored off Dewres boat yard Battersea. Anthony disappeared between 10 and 11.30 last night.
It is understood that he rowed two members of the crew to the shore. later the skiff was found tied up to the Little John, but there was no sign of the boy.
He could not swim, and the police assume that he fell overboard and was drowned.
WANTED TO GO TO SEA
Mrs. Temple-Nidd, Anthony's mother, told the "Echo" today that he had always longed to go to sea. Small for his age - four feet ten inches he found his ambition difficult to achieve until he answeredan "Echo" advertisement for a post on the Little John. It is believed that the yacht was to leave shortly for a trip to the Mediterranean.
"Anthony was very happy in his job." she said
Anthony's 17th birthday would have been next week. He had been with the Little John for six months. Previously he worked at the Odean Cineman adn the Polygon Hotel.
Anthony's father, who was for 17 years with the Cunard White Star died suddenly four years ago when serving as a paymaster-lieutenant in the Royal Navy.
There are five other children. Anthony's eldest brother is in the Army, and there are four younger
2. Occupation: cabin boy, 1949, Battersea, London, Middlesex. 1 2